After 7 months of testing the market in Scotland, we are ready to use the ‘L-WORD’ … we can now say we are properly launched!!! We used this period to speak one-to-one to hundreds of stockists as well as consumers to find out what they like and don’t like about our products, branding and pricing. We also sorted out our industry and product accreditations which has opened up lots of opportunities.
Here is a summary:
- Lanarkshire Business Show 2 March 2016
- Free From and Allergy Show Glasgow (19 – 20 March)
- Royal Highland Show (July 2016)
- Specialty Fine Food Fair London (Sept 2016)
We sent HUNDREDS of boxes of samples to potential stockist and received overwhelmingly positive responses. Our special ‘Sample’ boxes with chopped product were a great hit as they could be tasted and people loved them. Interestingly, there was no clear favourite as different people liked different options.
Gluten Free and Shelf-Life Accreditation
- All our products are now certified Gluten Free (<10ppm)
- Shelf life for 7 months approve
SALSA (Safe and Local Supplier Approval) is a recognised accreditation which now allows us to sell to some of the supermarkets and bigger multiples.
Our first big order
TK MAXX placed an order for what was to us a HUGE amount of 4-packs and SnackPots. We designed special boxes for the 4-packs as well as ‘belly bands’ for special tamper evident pots. Thanks to Greig at Freytag Anderson for doing another design miracle in record time.
From a standing start in April this year, we now have 50 wonderful customers in Scotland … the only REAL proof that we have a solid business!
We feel confident in our product and our model and have great ambitions, but here is some of the practical stuff that we want to do:
- Neil to join us full time as Sales Director in November 2016
- Start selling beyond Scotland in Jan 2017
- Employ new kitchen assistant in Feb 2017
- Explore export opportunities later in 2017